Top facts about Malta
- Geographic size: Just 121 square miles, 316 km². Main island Malta stretches roughly 17 miles (or 27 km) across and the total shoreline of Malta, Gozo and Comino adds up to a little over 168 miles (or 271 km).
- Population size: Over 425,384.
- Population Density: 1,346 per km² 8th most densely populated country / territory in the world, 4th in Europe.
- Official languages: Maltese and English.
- Currency: The Euro, since 1 January 2008. Previously, the Maltese Lira.
- Electricity: 230 Volts, 50Hz. Plug type G (3-pin plugs the same as the UK).
- Driving: Malta like South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Cyprus and Republic of Ireland drives on the left hand side.
- Weather: Average temperatures: 23º C (daytime, annual). Lowest average temperature: 12º C (January daily average). Highest average temperature: 27º C (August daily average). Average hours of sunshine per day (annually): 8.4
- Capital City: Valletta.
- Annual tourist arrivals: A staggering 1.6 million people visit Malta each year.
- Religion: Roman Catholic (over 90% of the population).
- Number of churches: 365… One for each day of the year 😉
- Malta and the EU: Malta joined the EU on the 1st of May, 2004.